The 2020 SRS Acquiom M&A Deal Terms Study analyzes more than 1,200 private-target acquisitions, valued at over $239 billion that closed from 2015 through 2019 in which SRS Acquiom provided professional and financial services. The vast majority of these deals are not required to be publicly reported. Data is presented on a calendar-year basis and is tied to the closing date of the transaction. Medians are presented in addition to averages to counterbalance the effect of outliers. Sample sizes are larger in more recent years as a result of our growth.
Unique data points include:
- Transaction values as multiples of equity capital invested
- Years from first investment round to exit
- Management carveout frequency and size
- Termination fees
- Second-tier caps and survival periods for carved out representations and warranties
Correlations among deal terms such as:
- Buyer type (public, private, financial, foreign)
- Transaction values
- Multiples of return
- Number of equity investment rounds
- Indemnification terms
The data for this study is pulled from MarketStandard®, the industry’s most comprehensive database of private-target M&A deal points and designed to help deal parties determine “what’s market.” To filter data and assess market terms for the specific M&A deal you’re negotiating, please visit MarketStandard and sign up for an account.